When you’re on-the-go, whether it be traveling, heading to work or even just walking the dog around the block, it’s nice to know that your home is safe. With D-Link Cameras you not only get peace of mind knowing that you can easily watch over your home while you’re away but also the comfort of knowing you’ll be alerted as soon as something is amiss. With D-Link’s email alert setting, you can create a completely customized schedule as to what triggers and alert, and how often you want to be notified. Maybe you want hour by hour updates, or just to know when motion is detected, whatever your preference or schedule it’s easy to set up, just follow the instructions below.
Start by opening your web browser and entering the IP Address of your camera. Log in using the User Name and Password you first chose when setting up the camera. From there follow these instructions:
- Once you’ve logged into the camera interface click the Setup tab towards the top of the page. Under Setup is where you can manage your camera’s features such as image setup, SD recording, brightness and motion detection.
- On the left hand side select Mail to access Email notifications.
- Begin entering your Email Settings:
- SMTP Server Address: This is the domain name or IP address of your external e-mail server. You can easily find this by searching ‘smtp settings’ followed by your email provider (i.e. gmail, yahoo etc).
- SMTP Server Port: This will be found with the SMTP Server Address when searched.
- Sender Email Address: This is the email address of the account who will be sending snapshots and alerts. You would most likely enter your own email address.
- Receiver Email Address: Enter the email address that you want the alerts to be sent to; once again this would most likely be your email.
- Username: Enter the username for the email account that you listed under Sender Email Address.
- Password: Enter the password for said email account.
- Use SSL-TLS/STARTTLS: This needs to be enabled if your email provider requires TLS authentication, this information should also have been provided when you searched for SMTP Settings.
- Under Time Schedule select the Enable box to allow emails to start being sent.
- After enabling emails you have three options as to how often you want to receive an email alert:
- Always: By selecting Always you will receive emails as often as you choose. Below you can determine the interval of how often you are alerted.
- Schedule: If you only want alerts when you know you will be away from home or during select hours this is the setting you’ll want. Choose the specific days and time intervals throughout those days in which you want receive alert, they will be sent as often as determined in the interval section.
- Motion Detection: Under this setting you will only be sent an alert when motion is detected by the camera. For tips on setting up motion detection alerts click here.
- Enter the interval you wish to have between alerts. You will only need to select how often emails/snapshots are sent if you chose Always or Scheduled alerts. Remember that if you chose a scheduled alert you will still only receive them during those specific times, no matter the interval.
- Click Test, this will send a test email and snapshot to the email that you listed above. If you do not receive the test email double check the SMTP settings you entered.
- Hit Save Settings and you’re good to go!