Many of D-Link’s Wi-Fi Cameras have the ability to record video clips to a microSD card with clip lengths of up to 1 minute but on our newer cameras, specifically the DCS-960L and DCS-2630L, you have the ability to record clips up to 6 minutes long. Whatever your camera’s capability is, here are simple instructions on how to check/change the video clip length of your D-Link Wi-Fi Camera.
You can access your camera’s User Interface in two ways:
1. Log into your account on mydlink.com, select the camera you want to access and select the ‘Settings’ tab. Scroll to bottom of page and under the section ‘More Settings’, click on the ‘Advanced Settings’ button. You will then be redirected to the camera’s User Interface.
2. While connected to the same wireless network that your camera is on, log into your router using it’s default IP address (you can find this in your router’s user manual) and look for the list of connected devices. Your Wi-Fi Camera should appear there with an IP address similar to 192.168.0.xxx. Copy that IP address and paste it into a web browser address bar (for this we recommend using IE).
Once you’ve accessed your camera’s User Interface page, log in with your username (admin) and password (you should have created this when you initially set up your camera. If you have forgotten this information, you can log into your account on mydlink.com, select the camera from the main menu, go to the ‘Settings’ tab and scroll down to show your username and password). If you have logged into your camera successfully, follow the below steps to change video clip length:
- Click on the ‘SETUP’ tab
- On the left-hand menu, click ‘SD RECORDING’
- From the new window, navigate to the field ‘Recording Length’ and select the desired time from the dropdown menu. For this example we are using the DCS-2630L which allows us to select a clip length up to 6 minutes. The length you select is the longest you wish a video clip to be. If you have continuous clip recording enabled, you will have clip after clip with no gap at the time length you selected. If you have trigger based recording like only when motion is detected, your camera will record video clips up to the length you selected, for however long the trigger is detected. For example, if someone walks past the camera, your camera will record a video clip for the time it took for them to walk past up to the length selected. If the motion continues for longer than the length selected, another video clip will begin, until the trigger is no longer detected.
- Either at the top of the window or bottom, select ‘SAVE SETTINGS’. If a reboot is needed, allow it to complete before accessing the camera.
Once saved and ready, your camera will start recording clips up to the length you determined. Please note that not all D-Link Wi-Fi Cameras have the same clip length options. Check your camera’s specifications or log in to see what your camera’s specific capabilities are.